Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Jack of all trades.....

......master of none. Having a bit of a "deep think" at the moment. Basically I LOVE all types of craft- photography, knitting, paperwork, beading, wire work, quilting, painting, sewing –“MAKING THINGS” in general.
I make lots of little different things but I don't have one item that screams "honi design". For example, each and every one of you can recognise the work of some of these lovely girls : "The Black Apple", "Aunty Cookie", "Lara Cameron", “Hokey” and "PipiJoe".
I don't know if it's because of my Gemini "Twin sides" but everything I make has a different feel to it. There are no recurring themes, trends or distinguishing features about my work. I love all sorts of “feels” too. The 50’s and 60’s kitsch, 70’s things, floral things, shabby chic, smooth Swedish style design- and I guess each different thing I do reflects a different selection of my passions.

I would like to be REALLY good at one thing- not just ‘kinda good’ at everything. But which “thing” do I focus on? I love too many things!

Was it hard for all of you to come up with your signature items that make you unique?

Sorry, this isn’t like me to have a post like this, but it dawned on me last night how scattered my work is! I was making the clay moulds (post below) and then I stopped doing that and made these rings below out of Buttons and Wire. I showed Mr Honi and he loved them but in showing him I realised how completely random the two things were. Then I started thinking about having a stall at a market and how dis-jointed it would be – like 10 different people submitted work.
Maybe diversity is my “thing"

3 comments:

Cass said...

Bec I know how you feel. I think bags became my thing (and they still are) but now I've also started branching into other things.

Two Peas In a Pod said...

Did you make those rings?? They are grand. Im sure you will find your thing while tweeking other things :) YOu can be a jack of all trades...why not.
Cheers Kyla
PS- how are the wedding plans coming along??

hokey said...

WOW! to have little old me mentioned in the same sentance as all those amazing folk, thanks so much! I think it's great to do as many differnt things as possible. I do, it's just that the stuff I make to sell seems to have a certain asthetic. The most important thing is to enjoy the process of creating. Do what you love is the best advice I have ever recieved

Hollie x